Meow is an unobtrusive and cuddly music player for KDE 4 and Windows.
Meow doesn't need lots of buttons or doodads. Just click on the song you want to play, and it plays it. That's all there is to Meow. It doesn't demand a lot. Meow doesn't carry Toxoplasma gondii.
2014 Jan 15
- I discovered 0.9.17 broke Musepack codec support. If you don't know what this means, then feel free to upgrade.
2014 Jan 14 — Meow 0.9.17 is released.
- Lots of internal cleanups making Meow more stable under certain conditions
- OggSpeex support. Support for Speex is in some ways sub-optimal, and I hope to make several improvements (for example, the performance of seeking) in coming versions.
2013 Nov 30
- Slackware and Arch Linux packages on the downloads page, contributed by Meow users
2013 Nov 24 — Meow 0.9.16 is released.
- Files specified on the command line are now loaded, and the first one is played
- Source code tarball release
- Fedora rpm release
2013 Nov 19 — There's a Meow-related discussion on reddit.
2013 Nov 16 — Meow 0.9.15 is released.
- No Opus support because libopusfile is not available on stable Debian - source code supports it
- UI to let you pick the output device
- Have tray icon disappear on exit properly on Windows
- Don't try to scrobble if scrobbling is enabled but username is not available
- Windows: upgrade compiler
2013 Oct 26 — Meow 0.9.14 is released. I hope to add support for Opus before 1.0.
- Fix drag-n-drop on Windows (bug reproduced on Windows 7 but not Vista)
2013 May 24 — Meow 0.9.13 is released: Also possibly the last Meow before 1.0.
- Don't crash when switching songs in newer versions of Qt (Linux only)
- The self-extracting Windows version is compressed a lot better now, but that's the only reason to download it again
2013 March 10 — Meow 0.9.12 is released: Possibly the last Meow before 1.0.
- MP3 decoder is now mpg123, it apparently is slightly more standards compliant, and the code is more readable.
- Non-KDE version: Configure keyboard shortcuts from the UI
- Support for gapless playback on all formats, including mp3 (mp3: when the LAME tag is present, only)
- Understands and uses ReplayGain tags in files.
2013 January 19 — Meow 0.9.11 is released:
- More aggressive mp3 parsing makes it more likely to play certain malformed files
- Non-KDE version: you can now replace all the icons (in KDE, the normal icon theme applies
- Data and config is stored in ~/.config/meowplayer.org (Unix) and c:\users\whatever\meowplayer.org (Windows) instead of the old location (the directory is "meow"). Also collections are stored in a new "collections" subfolder. This is a backwards incompatible change, but you can manually move the files if you want
- Qt version on Unix: "media" keys now work globally. In later versions, you'll be able to configure them
- Non-KDE version: Cosmetic changes to the About box
- Restore the volume level properly
2013 January 13 — Meow 0.9.10 is released. That didn't last long.
2013 January 13 — Meow 0.9.9 is released. It could use an icon.